Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March Writing Contest Essay


0102
Period 1
3/4/09
Tigers
March Writing Contest Essay

Have you ever had a favorite band? Has something happened to you that only music could you get through? Did you ever think that a certain band was your absolute favorite above all? I can say yes to all of those and the one band that changed my life is My Chemical Romance.
My love for My Chemical Romance started just the same way as any other teeny-bopper craze. The only difference was that at that time, they were the heaviest music and by the far the darkest I had ever listened to. All my family disapproved of my listening to their “dangerous music”, except my parents. As soon as my mom allowed, I went on iTunes and throughout the course of about a month, I bought every song available from them. I joined their fansites and talked with other people who loved them just as much (and sometimes more) as me. I watched and read interviews. I paid attention to everything about them. When I heard about a new album coming out, I marked my mental calendar and giggled and groaned waiting for it to come out. I giggled like a giddy fool, and groaned like a tired old man. The giggling started when I saw the video for their new single, Welcome to the Black Parade and then groaning started when I realized that I still had just over a month until the official album release date. The very day it came out, I bought it. I had no idea that one song on that album would change my life forever.
While I listened to My Chemical Romance just like all the other “emo kids”, I considered myself apart from them. I didn’t just think they were hot like most of the girls I met who “oh my gosh totally loved them”. I felt not only understanding from them, but a sense that I was not alone in what I was going through. My point of view on the female fans was that more than half of them only liked the band for the attractiveness of its members. For me, it was about the actual music they played, I listened for their talent. Not many people pay attention to the lyrics people sing or what they mean, but I wanted to know what they said and what it meant. I listened to the lyrics and listened to the interviews so that I would know how the song was intended to sound and to be listened to.
After March of 2007, my love for My Chemical Romance and music in general took on a whole new meaning. It would continue to be changed today. On March 29, 2007 I went through the hardest day of my life thus far. I have had hard days since but none as difficult as this. I was picked up early from school and taken to Harbor View hospital to find out my mother was there. She almost died that day and it made me think of what I would’ve done without her. Listening to My Chemical Romance’s new album, The Black Parade really helped me because it made me feel as though I had someone who understood when my family was too preoccupied with my little brother. Afterwards, my mom started listening to them as well, and we were able to find a new connection that brought us even closer together. Both of us were able to get a better understanding of the other one from them. During that entire time, and even now, I used their music as an escape. It was somewhere for me to go and hide. After that, listening to them was as necessary as breathing air.
My Chemical Romance is the most important band to me. My life has been turned upside down, right side up, and sideways, and I have been okay thanks to them. Never underestimate the power music can have over a person, it can change someone’s thinking or it can change their mood. No matter what, music is an important part of life. For some, it’s as important as eating or sleeping, maybe even more.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I like how in the intro you answered yiur questions and then went into detail as to why.
I also admired how at the end you compare the necessities of life to the love of you music.

Keep up the good work ;D

Trey C. said...

i admired what you did when you talked about how you need that band to get through something. i'm not a huge fan of my chemical romance i only like the song teenagers.