Friday, February 6, 2009

Best Times Essay



The best time in my life is not so much one memory, but a collection of memories about one person. I only vaguely remember them, but I know them enough to know they are most definitely the happiest time in my life.
What I have of him is so precious to me. I haven't seen him in almost ten years, and all I have are vague, shadowed memories. Every time I see a box of Fruity Pebbles, I can't deny the urge to grin as wide as my lips will allow. In that moment, I am no longer in the store. Instead, I am back in time, to when I was only about four. I'm with my mother, at Chris' apartment. He was the first father figure I ever had. I remember him going to the cupboard in his cramped living space and bringing to me a box of cereal. I had never before eaten Fruity Pebbles and after that first bowl, I would forever love them. They still hold a sense of comfort for me. I recall him always playfully complaining that I ate them all but I don't think he ever really minded.
I also remember another specific moment when my mom, Chris, and I went to his parent's house to build a cat-house for my grandma's cat Lucy. After the house was finished, there was extra wood and nails and being the toddler I was, I wanted to make something all by myself. And, as expected, it turned out horribly deformed and looking like nothing useful but I was proud nonetheless. After it was dark and we were still there, it was close to my bedtime so my mother took me downstairsand I layed down on the couch. My mom covered me up and I can remember falling asleep staring at a painting of wolves on the wall, and listening to the sound of my mother's voice as she sang my lullaby.
There were many more experiences, I'm positive but unfortunately I can remember but one more. There was a computer in Chris' apartment and he had a Sesame Street coloring game. I loved that game, but everything I painted had to be either black or purple. I'm not sure why black, but it had to be purple because that was my favorite color when I was little. One last thing to thank him for is that now, ten years later, I can't brush my teeth without first putting water on my toothbrush.
I've found that the happiest times of our lives often come from the childish ignorance we are blessed to have when so little. Everything is new to you and you can hardly find a fault in the world. Your family is the best thing you have and everyone you meet can be a new friend. I've also found that you never know how much time you have and you need to always cherish your loved ones.

1 comment:

Paul Mauel said...

Grace! Happy Sunday. I am checking out essays and your image of the famous cereal box hooked me! (Since one is hanging from my classroom wall, I had to smile as well). Now, let's see if I can help you be the best writer you can be. First, I really like your first paragraph. Lots of vivid concrete details to bring your experience to life. You are also writing about something that means something to you (your relationship with your Mom and first father figure). A good habit to do: Did you reflect on how many CDs and CMs you had (as a ratio)? Do you remember what the ratio should look like for expositional essays? Last constructive question. Can you do a 3-Question intro for this essay? If you want to review, check out my site and make sure you include a thesis. There are so many positives on this. Please take the questions as ways, or tools, to help bring out the very best voice you (YOU) have as a writer. You are a great student and a joy to have in my class, Have a nice break, Mr. Mauel